One of the most important decisions you can make for the care, comfort and health of your baby is your choice in mattress. Babies and toddlers spend 10-14 hours a day sleeping and playing on a bassinet or cot mattress. Therefore, for the first few years, the mattress is the most prominent object in your baby’s environment.
Choosing the right mattress for your baby can be a challenging task – what size, what material and what firmness is right? What about mattress protectors? When to offer a pillow to the baby?
If you are buying a mattress for a bassinet, moses or cane basket with a supportive plywood bottom you can choose any of the available products. For cane baskets which have an uneven base you should choose between our Organic Coconut fibre core mattress (firm) and our Organic Latex core mattress (medium).
- Organic Wool mattress: budget friendly option, requires a solid base to support the mattress
- Organic Coconut fibre core mattress: Most firm option
- Organic Latex core mattress: Most comfortable – the bestseller 2018
For larger size bassinets as Stokke or similar it is recommended to choose between Organic Coconut fibre core and Organic Latex core mattresses.
For Portacots (portable cots that fold away for easy transportation and storage) we recommend 30 or 50mm organic latex core Portacot mattresses which we custom make to meet individual customer specifications.
Babies are growing all the time so it’s vitally important that they sleep on a mattress that provides the correct degree of support for their spines. After a baby is born, the spinal cord and vertebrae of the spine are all present, but are still developing. That is the reason why we don’t offer soft mattresses for bassinets and baskets as they don’t provide enough support for the baby’s spine and do not comply with safety recommendations.
When it comes to our Coconut fibre core and Latex core mattresses you have the choice between medium and firm. A good idea is to come into our showroom and have a look at the different options before making a decision, or talk to one of our dedicated sleep consultants on the phone or via email and we will help you make the right decision for your baby.
At INNATURE we are very proud of our organic cot and bassinet mattresses and bedding range. Our mission is to offer a natural alternative to synthetic and unhealthy mattresses, that dominate the local market. We believe that little ones deserve the safest start in life.
All our mattresses are created with natural and organic materials and manufactured by hand. Feel free to visit the showroom factory where the mattresses are made to see our products first-hand. You can even meet the people making them! Rest assured that you are buying quality and a truly environmentally sound product when you invest in an INNATURE product. We care about the wellbeing and happiness of our customers and are happy to offer a “2 weeks customer satisfaction policy”
How to choose the right mattress protector for my INNATURE mattress?
Mattress protectors can be a bit tricky to choose – you wouldn’t want your baby to sleep on a sheet of plastic but you also want to protect the mattress. The question you have to ask yourself is: Is your priority to protect the baby or do you want to protect the mattress? At INNATURE we offer a few options:
- NZ Eco-wool quilted in organic cotton with elastic on the corners. A protector that covers the whole mattress, designed to protect the mattress from small nappy leaks and offers a cozy feeling. It has hand wash only care instructions. New Zealand made.
- “DRI-COT” – made with a special weave of 100% NZ wool, this traditional mattress protector is treated with natural lanolin for moisture protection. This product performs extremely well for many years with the correct care. Give yourself peace of mind knowing your baby is sleeping on a natural fibre rather than plastic! It is important to only hand rinse this product in warm water and to not use in conjunction with any vinyl/plastic sheeting as this causes condensation and will have an adverse effect on water proofing. DRI-COt comes in bassinet and cot sizes, and is designed to cover the main affected area of the mattress, as opposed to the entire mattress.
- DryLife® Baby Deluxe Cot Mattress Topper/Protector with a 100% Eucalyptus fibre fill and cotton outer fabric. Drylife® bedware Products have been independently assessed by Asthma New Zealand and accepted into their “Breathe Easy” Programme- Helping New Zealanders living with asthma. Machine washable.